We are seeking an energetic, dedicated and highly motivated team player to provide basic husbandry care for rats and mice within a modified barrier vivarium. Duties may also include assisting investigators with studies by performing basic injections (IP, SC, IV, PO), body weight measurements, blood collection and general necropsy. Candidate must have a strong work ethic and possess excellent organizational skills.
This role will contribute significantly to the research activities. Weekend and holiday work will be required.
- Perform daily husbandry of rats and mice under modified barrier conditions and document accordingly
- Monitor and document animal facility conditions including temperature and humidity daily
- Perform twice daily health monitoring of animals, document and report abnormal conditions to the supervisor
- Perform daily, weekly, monthly census of animals
- Operate cage washer and autoclave equipment
- Perform general upkeep and cleaning of facility including daily sweeping and mopping and quarterly cleaning
- Receive incoming food and bedding orders and other materials for the animal facility
- Receive and house incoming animals
- Euthanize animals as required
- Assist investigators with in-vivo studies
- Adhere to appropriate safety and bio containment procedures
- Ability to work overtime hours on a rotating schedule which may include nights, weekends and holidays
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma with 1-3 years of experience in general lab animal husbandry or relevant experience. B.S. is a plus.
- No known lab animal allergies
- Ability to lift, push, pull up to 50lbs
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills. Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and work ethic
- Possessing or having the ability and desire to learn basic in-vivo techniques in rats and mice
- Ability to work well in a multi-functional team based environment and interact with individuals of various backgrounds and levels within the company
- Able to work, nights, weekends and holidays
- AALAS ALAT certification is a plus